Friday 17 September 2021

Francisco Scaramanga And Nick Nack

And here's the second and last drawing for today.  Scaramanga and Nick Nack, played by Christopher Lee and HervĂ© Villechaize respectively in The Man With The Golden Gun.

This one had a lot of dark areas, giving me the chance of laying down some large black shapes, which is something I do enjoy.  There are some interesting big light green negative shapes in there too.  Somehow using markers makes me more aware of negative shapes.  There are also some interesting contrasts in there between straight and curved lines.  I put some impressionistic blues into the skin tones again - I keep seeing this blue everywhere.

Scaramanga isn't a great lookalike but there's some personality there in the eyes and mouth.  The smugness that follows a job well done.  Maybe there's a bit of Sean Connery in him, but you must admit Sean would have made a great Scaramanga.  Nick Nack gave me a few problems though.  I didn't like the expression on his face, so I’ve extended the black shadow further onto his face into areas where the shadows were quite light.  There's still too much Jimmy Krankie in him though, and there's no way Jimmy Krankie would have made a good Nick Nack.

Anyway, it's hard to say whether these portraits are successes or not until I put them all together into a collection.  Now that I've done one landscape and three portraits, I guess that I need one more landscape and three more portraits for a set of eight, so it might be a while before I can really judge this one.  For now, I think it's interesting enough to be added to the collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment