Saturday 11 March 2023

Mark Hector, Brain Squeeze Reactions

After reading the Bill Maughan book, I was keen to get started on some chiariscuro portraits but thought I'd start with markers rather than the coloured pencils.  Markers are a great medium for practising identifying shapes and values, so well suited to chiariscuro.  Paintings don’t take that long to do either, so there's not a big time investment in something that could end up going wrong.

The subject matter is something that popped into my head when I was out for one of my walks the other day.  The idea of drawing a collection of YouTube creators just appeared from nowhere and It's been in my head ever since.  Six is a good number for any collection, so I've identified my six favourite subjects for YouTube viewing and have picked out my favourite in each of those categories to be the subject of a portrait.

Anybody care to guess the six subjects?  Well let me get you started.  One of those subjects is music reaction videos.  There are lots of great music reactors out there but this guy is my current favourite.  It looks like his name is Mark Hector but everyone seems to call him Hector in the comments.  Hector's a hip hop fan and is broadening his outlook by checking out all sorts of other genres.  I'm far more closed to new ideas, only watching Hector's (or anyone else's) reaction videos when it's music that I know.  If someone's reacting to Comfortably Numb, Freebird or 2112, count me in!  Hector does swear a lot, so I wouldn’t recommend him to young kids but quite often this swearing comes at particularly good points in song.  One of the advantages of only watching reactions to songs that I know is that I can predict the exact moments when Hector's going to fall off his chair and shout “F*** OFF!" or "OH YOU DIRTY B******!" It's often when the vocals come in or the guitar solo starts.

Anyway, I caught Hector in one of those FO moments for a source photo and drew him in black and greys.    I'm pretty please with how he turned out.  It's the disgusted downturn at the corner of the mouth that just says everything.  He's up for sale if anyone's interested.  If you want this, Hector, I'll send it over for free.

And to close in Hector style, spread the love everybody and haters go f*** oneselves.  Five more YouTubers coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment