Friday 7 December 2018

The Searchers

1 August 2018
Looking at feedback so far, people seemed to like paintings of outer space or Westerns or paintings with people in them.  So I thought I'd try all three at once.  This painting's also a tribute to comic artist Steve Ditko (co-creator of both Spider-Man and Doctor Strange) who died earlier in the Summer.

The picture that it's based on is a still from near the beginning of The Searchers, a 1956 John Ford Western starring John Wayne.  There's a silhouetted woman staring out of a cabin doorway.

I'm more than happy with this one.  Sometimes I wonder whether the space clouds are a bit OTT and that fewer clouds and more starry background might be better.  Then I realise that the painting as it stands is much more Ditkoesque and a tribute that I can be proud of.

Screw your eyes up and it can look like a pint of lager but that wasn't the intention.

This one has been sold to one of my biggest fans.

2 comments:

  1. Ditko was creative person,but also a wrong headed weirdo.Anye Rand was a con artist like Donald Trump and that Scientistologist chump.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lafayette Ronald Hubbard.God of Tiny Tom

    ReplyDelete