Saturday 4 April 2020

Anish Giri

It's the weekend and I'm back to drawing portraits of the with players in the FIDE Candidates tournament.  Today it's Anish Giri, a player with a reputation of drawing a larger than normal proportion of his games.

At this point I have half an eye on what the final collection of eight portraits will look like all together, so I'm trying to get certain aspects of the mix right.  Before now, only one of the five has a single colour background. only one is delineated in rollerball rather than marker and only two are looking left.  So that's why today's player has a single colour background, is delineated in rollerball and is looking left.  I've picked an orange background to compliment the blue whistle Anish is wearing.  And I thought I'd add the caption.  He'll be the only player in the final set with a caption, so it adds a bit of individuality and character.  And he won't be the only one with individuality - remember Grischuk's skin colour!

Likeness-wise, it's not great but I'm resigned to likeness not being the most important aspect of this collection- it's going to be about personality and about concentration.  Those are what are going to make this collection a winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment