Thursday 27 August 2020

Rob Key

It's been a good summer of test cricket.  I was watching it yesterday and suddenly realised that Sky cricket pundit Rob key would make a great portrait subject with his bulbous nose, high forehead, chubby cheeks and rosy complexion, so I thought I'd have a go at the great Keyesie, the last Kent cricketer to score a double century for England.  Oh no, sorry, he lost that record a couple of days ago.

Anyway, here's what I came up with.  The cartoony effect on those Rush portraits that came along unexpectedly has disappeared just as quickly.  There's something of Keyesie in there but it's not quite on point.  I think it made  I've made the forehead a bit too conventional.  A bit too Dec rather than Ant.  And the hair is ugly and the background and composition are a bit boring.  And head was so big I couldn’t fit it into the page, although that makes things more interesting.   On the other hand, I like how the shape of the marks and the use of pink among the normal skin tones has added a certain something.  And how there's a steely set to the jaw under those chins.

Rob's up for sale as a standalone.  For now, I don't imagine myself doing a cricket collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment