Saturday 6 February 2021

Tom Holland

Before I talk about this one, a big hello to anyone that's here for the first time after seeing my brief appearance on Landscape Artist Of The Year.  I'm guessing this portrait will leave you disapointed.  The thing is, Intend ti do my watercolour painting outside (because I'm messy) and while it's cold and I'm stuck indoors, I keep busy with figure drawing using inktense pencils (which I seem to be OK at most of the time) and portrait drawing using markers (where I struggle with likenesses but occasionally get interesting interpretations with personality).  If you want to see my watercolours or landscapes, click on the appropriate label at the top of the screen.  If you want to see what I have up for sale, there are links down the right of the page if you’re using a PC or tablet.

Anyway, back to the drawing.  Continuing the Avengers collection, this is Tom Holland who plays Spider-Man.  Rather than putting Spider-Man colours into the skintones, I went for a Steve Ditko style split head with radiating spider-sense lines.  One of the benefits of this approach was that I could start by drawing a whole Tom Holland head, then choose the worst looking half to draw the Spider-Man mask over.

This still isn't great and may not make it into the final collection.  The right of the head is the right shape but the eyepiece should be wrapped around the heads and starting to disappear at the edge.  A bad mistake.

This is another of those that isn't worth putting in the shop window as an individual work but that could end up as part of an Avengers collection.  If I do go down the Avengers route, I need to think about who else should be in the collection.  I'd be going for a set of eight, so there are three vacancies in the team.  There's no Captain America, or Thor in there yet but Doctor Strange, Hawkeye and the old (Michael Douglas as Hank Pym) Ant Man could all be interesting.  There are going to be some disappointed superheroes out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment