Wednesday 3 April 2024

Lord Brett Sinclair

And here's my second marker portrait of the day, Lord Brett Sinclair played by Sir Roger Moore.

Just like Danny Wilde, he's in monotone greys but with a brightly coloured background.  Because I didn't want his hair to be one single dark shape, I started this one with the cool grey 4 in the darkest places, including the whole of the hair: this let me add grey 5 and black later, leaving the grey as highlights.  Next I went for grey 4 in the medium toned shapes.  These first two layers gave me. Good start and something to hang everything else off.  I then followed up with all five greys and the black, ending up again with six different values plus white.  The greys are generally darker in this one because I spent longer searching for a likeness: Stephen Fry and Alan Alda kept trying to gatecrash the party.  Eventually I had to stop, smooth things out with the marker and add the light green background.  And that was me done.

Roger Moore is a tricky one to get a likeness of and I don't think I ever got there, although now and then my eye catches a little bit of him in there.  Which I guess makes for an interesting "artistic interpretation" like Morag Caister's Lenny Henry painting that people are still complaining doesn’t look like him but which Sir Lenny insists has caught something.

Still, because Danny Wilde came out so well, this one is going up for sale as part of The Persuaders! Collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment