Saturday 14 August 2021

Aubrey, Getting A Tan

The second and final inktense painting of the day is a third appearance for Aubrey.  My plan with this one was to use a lot less colour and have a lot more white highlights, so there's a bit more colour on this one than intended.  I also cropped my source material so that I didn't need to draw head, hands or feet.  Taking it easy on this one.

I started with the four colour combination of bark, willow, leaf green and mustard.  I probably should have used more bark in the shadows.  The other colours are all quite light, giving this painting a slightly washed out feeling.  I threw in some shiraz, because (just like with the bright blue in the last painting) I like to have one extra colour in there as contrast if I'm using an analogous colour scheme.  Sherbert lemon and poppy red were used in the mat/towel, with a little bit of the yellow appearing in some shadows and on the body as reflected light.

This is a better drawing than the last one but has a more boring colour scheme.  And the towel isn't great.  But this is good enough to go in the shop window without embarrassing me.

One weird thing about this painting is that if I screw up my eyes it changes to a woman on her back.  The arm and top torso turn into legs, the shins turn into upper arms and her cheeks into very strangely shaped breasts.  If you're looking at this painting and seeing a woman on her back, please look again.  There's a much better painting in there of a woman on her front.

No comments:

Post a Comment