Wednesday 23 December 2020

Gestural Heather

Another go at an expressive, gestural bit of figure drawing.  I picked a pose by Heather for this one, wanting something simpler and quite liking how the hands were hidden.

The inky stick figure went down again first.  I found myself fleshing out the figure too much rather than keeping her sticky, so decided to overflesh her in places where underfleshing was no longer possible.  One thing I did differently in this one was to wet the pencil underdrawing with kitchen roll rather than a brush, just to keep things a bit less controlled.

I think Heather came out OK.  The inconsistencies between the outline and the underdrawing are looking a bit more obvious here, which helps.  The lines in the torso look more interesting too.  And having no facial marks on the head seems to work.  But, best of all, Heather's confidence is shining through here.  Could I improve in this?  The first thing that springs to mind is that maybe I should try something closer up next, cutting off the head and lower neck.  That might be interesting.

Anyway, Heather's up for sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment