Friday 14 May 2021

Duane Allman & Sam Allardyce


I'm going to try out something new this morning.  I'm going to start with a Charles Reid style contour drawing.  He recommends starting from the eyes, keeping the pen on the paper at all times and feeling free to get distracted by interesting internal shapes.  I'm going to do this on watercolour paper and add some paint.  But watercolour paper is expensive, so I thought I'd have a practice run on a scrap of printer paper first.

So I did.  I drew Duane a Allman on one side and Big Sam Allardyce on the other.  I'm not quite following all of Charles' instructions.  First, I'm not concentrating too much on accuracy - size and position and all that.  Second, lots of my my edges are quite straight and boring, whereas Charles keeps them interesting with kinks.

But the results!  Holy @£#&!  This might be the way to go if I'm finally to crack likenesses.  These are amazing.  They're not for sale, only being scribbles on scrap paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment