Saturday 12 June 2021

Gareth Southgate

So the Euros have started and I'll be watching all three games today.  That's two good reasons for doing this inknse portrait of Gareth Southgate - it's based on a source photo that I've had sitting around for a while, unsure of which medium to paint it in.

I started with a Charles Reid-style contour drawing.  Then I shaded it in with pencils.  Today I started by only using charcoal grey, then later shaded other colours over the top to give the darks a bit of a tint.  And finally I painted over it with water.

It all feels a bit rushed to me (even this post).  I can't even list the colours I used, apart from them being blues, reds and my usual leaf green.  This one's a failure.  Although there are some good lines in the clothes, the likeness isn't there.  In fact it looks more like Danny Dyer.  I won't be putting this one in the shop window.

No comments:

Post a Comment