Saturday 12 June 2021

Sam Allardyce

I'm still in too much of a rush today.  After that Gareth Southgate disaster, I thought I'd move on to Big Sam.  At least I know from drawing him on a bit of scrap paper a few weeks ago I can get some sort of likeness.

Again, this was all about the Charles Reid contour drawing, then the shading, then the wetting.  I still can't remember all the colours (leaf green, purple, some blues, some reds) but I can tell you I went straight for colours this time rather than repeating that experiment of starting with charcoal grey then tinting it.

The likeness is there  but not as good a likeness as the one I got on scrap paper.  But there are some problems.  One is the excessive amount of purple in Sam's face; the other is the unimaginative monotone clothes he's wearing.  No, make that three - that hair is horrible, looking too much like ugly pencil scribbles.

This is another for the bin.  I need to be much more disciplined about taking my time over paintings when I have other things to do later in the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment