Saturday 18 September 2021

Zbigniew Krycsiwiki

First up today is Zbigniew Krycsikiki, aka Jaws.  My definition of Bond villains has extended to include henchmen.  Jaws was played by Richard Kiel in The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker.  Jaws was a great character.  He had a weird, flat footed way of running that I like to copy.

Just like with most of my marker portraits, it's the black that went down first.  I like source material that has huge black shapes in it so that I can kick of drawings chiaroscuro style and only add colour later in those places where it benefits the drawing.

I had some trouble with the eyes today, which was weird because I didn't need much detail in them, what with them being behind the goggles.  In the end, I just made everything really dark behind the goggles and added some highlights with a white gel pen.  This took several attempts and the paper was starting to show some wear.  I was having a nightmare.  Anyway, I got to something in the end.  And while I had the gel pen in my hand, I thought I'd add some stitching to the parachute straps and some white hairs/texture to the top of the head.  Both of these worked out well.

I don’t think this one has worked out brilliantly.   Maybe that's because this is the first in the collection to not feature impressionistic colours in the skintones.  There's a lesson there.  Anyway, this isn't going up for sale as an individual drawing but is being added to the Bond villains collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment